Who can resist a bowl full of spicy, tangy noodles? Absolutely nobody, i say! Those long strands that when you slurp, go wiggling into your mouth and make your tastebuds go “WOW!”
Noodles are my ANYTIME favourite food. I especially like the greasy, soy-dark ones that are sold on thelas on streets. There’s a roadside vendor near my parents’ place in Lucknow, that sets up his Chowmein thela around 5pm and is sold out by 7pm. Needless to say, his noodles are absolutely killer, just the right amount of spice and that exact tang from the vinegar.
Typically the Indian style Hakka Noodles have a ton of vegetables like carrots, cabbage, capsicum, green chillies, spring onion etc. Apart from veggies, a splash of sauces like red & green chilli, soy, vinegar, chilli oil etc are added for a kick-ass punch 😬 Are you salivating already?
Noodles might not be the healthiest food around but when you wanna indulge, make a bowl with lots of veggies and i assure, it’ll be a delight.
Vegetable Hakka NoodlesCourse: SnacksCuisine: Indo-ChineseDifficulty: Easy
Desi-style noodles loaded with veggies & sauces. A lip-smacking snack option for those 5pm hunger pangs!
Hakka noodles (i buy Ching’s usually): 1 packet
Cabbage: 3/4th cup; finely sliced
Onion: 1; sliced
Carrot: 1; julienned
Capsicum: 1/2; cut into thin strips
Spring onion greens: 3 sprigs; chopped fine
Garlic: 5 cloves; finely chopped
Pepper: 1/2 tsp
Tomato chilli sauce: 1.5 tsp
Soy sauce: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Boil noodles according to the instructions given on the pack. Drain & wash under cold water. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to avoid sticking.
- Keep a pan on high flame, add oil & the chopped garlic. Sauté it for a few seconds & add the vegetables one by one. Carrots go first, followed by onion, cabbage & capsicum.
- Add the sauces, salt & pepper. Flash fry the vegetables (stir on high heat, rapidly).
- Finally add the noodles and toss to bring everything together. Give a final stir on high flame.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. The noodles are ready to be served.
- Olive oil can be used for this preparation. I use good ol’ vegetable oil.
- All the frying has to be done on high flame.
- You can also experiment with red or green chilli sauce, as per your taste. Chilli oil is a great taste enhancer as well.
- We like our food spicy so I always add some chilli flakes to the noodles 😁