A few days ago i served Mango Lassi to a friend who had dropped by to visit & was complaining about the heat. She took a sip & loved it! Surprisingly she had never taste it before (please do not ask me how that’s possible), and she asked me for the recipe. After a quick explanation came a question, “How long can this last?”. “Hmm, for as long as you let it”, i said. We both chuckled & gulped down the ice laden, delicious lassi within minutes. Oh the sweet joys of summer!
Lassi is a refreshing Indian beverage that is made in both sweet & savoury ways. It is a blend of yoghurt with spices/fruit & ice. This traditional drink has been popular in India long before the world discovered smoothies 😆
This drink is a delight during the scorching Indian summer & is loved by almost everyone i know. Flavours like rose water, kewda & cardamom are amongst the popular ones. There are assortments of lassis that are made & relished during summer, including sweet & savoury ones. Right now, this is the one you gotta try…because Mangoes are ❤️
Mango LassiCourse: BeverageCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Yoghurt blended with fresh mango pulp & ice to make a refreshing summer drink.
Yoghurt: 2 cups
Mango pulp: 2 cups
Milk: 1 cup
Sugar: 2 tsp
Cardamom powder: 2 pinch
For garnish: Slivered almonds, pistachios, saffron strands & mint leaves
Ice cubes: Lots
- Add yogurt, mango pulp, sugar, cardamom powder & ice cubes in a blender jar.
- Now add the milk & blend until you get a smooth texture.
- Pour the lassi in tall glasses. Add some more ice cubes if you like.
- Garnish with saffron strands, slivered almonds or pistachios & mint leaves.
- You can add more milk if you feel that the lassi is thick. Please don’t add water, it ruins the flavour.
- Use the best quality, fully ripe & sweet mangoes. Not only do they add flavour, but also a rich yellow colour.
- If you want to make this healthier, replace the sugar with honey. Works just as fine.
- If the mangoes are really sweet, you might not need the sugar at all. So, check beforehand.
- Garnish can also be some freshly chopped mango!