Come summer & there’s one thing that’s never missing from my refrigerator & that’s raw mangoes. I just LOVE them. Ambiya ki Chutney, Khatti Dal, Aam Panna, Bharwan Karele & Aam ka Achaar…there are so many ways in which I use the unripe mango! They’re such a delight to have as it is, sprinkled with some salt & red chilli powder 😋
Raw mango is also called kachcha aam or kairi in Hindi. The Aam or Kairi Panna is a refreshing summer drink made from raw mangoes, stored in glass barnis (jars) & served chilled during the day in the scorching months of April, May & June. Nothing can beat the tangy & spicy taste of this coolant on a sweltering afternoon. Not only is it tasty, the drink minimises the effects of intense heat and prevents dehydration. Raw mango also helps fight indigestion & diarrhoea.
There are various recipes for Aam Panna, most of them involving a sweet element like sugar or jaggery. My recipe is different because I strongly dislike the sweet+tangy taste together. I make a flavourful, zesty Panna that all of us at home love. We sometimes also use it as pani for gol gappas 😬. Once you try this version, there’s no looking back. I have no shame in admitting that I’ve gulped litres of this manna every summer 😜 Tangy, spicy & fresh…there isn’t a drink that comes close to the world famous Aam Panna!! Do you agree?
Khatta Aam PannaCourse: BeveragesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A refreshing, tangy drink made with raw mangoes & spices. Manna for summers.
Raw mango: 2
Water: 2.5 cups
Mint leaves: 1/2 cup
Bhuna jeera (roasted cumin) powder: 1tsp
Black salt: 1tsp
Red chilli powder: 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
- Put the raw mangoes in a pressure cooker with 2.5 cups of water. Cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Cool the mangoes completely. Peel and take out all the pulp, even from the peels.
- Put the pulp in a blender jar. Add the washed mint leaves & run the blender till a smooth puree is ready.
- Now add the bhuna jeera powder, red chilli powder & both varieties of salt. Blend again. The concentrate for Aam Panna is now ready.
- To serve, add 4 glasses of cold water & ice cubes to the concentrate. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- Pick tart mangoes to make this drink. If you feel the panna is not as sour as you’d like, add some lemon juice while serving.
- You can add some sugar while blending the mango pulp, if you like that kind of flavour.