So, it’s just some chicken, veggies, cheese & tortilla. So what?
No, it’s not just that. A good quesadilla takes a little patience & love to come together 😊 Agreed, it’s still one of the easier things to make if you have some leftover chicken in the fridge & about 20 minutes in hand. But, believe it or not, it’s also very easy to ruin a quesadilla (read, mushy) 😣 There are many ways to nail a quesadilla, to make them loaded with either veggies or meat or both; to make them gooey on the inside & crisp on the outside 😋
My recipe is simple. I make quesadillas when I have leftover chicken in the fridge, it maybe some leftover from a kebab platter that we might have had the previous day, or some that’s left from a salad that I made a day ago, or some even from a bowl of curry! I simply shred the leftover chicken, prepare a melee of a bunch of vegetables & make golden, crisp, delicious quesadillas 😁 I usually serve them with a side of homemade salsa & some sour cream.
So go ahead, give this recipe a try & let’s make Chicken Quesadillas great again 😆
Express Chicken QuesadillasCourse: MainCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Tortillas stuffed with chicken & sautéed vegetables, grilled with gooey cheese. Yum!
Leftover chicken: 1/2 cup; shredded
Bell peppers: 1/2 cup; diced
Onion: 1 small; diced
Zucchini: 1/2; diced
Black beans: 1/4 cup; boiled
Taco seasoning: 3tbsp
Red chilli powder: 1/2tsp
Cheese: 1.5 cups; shredded
Fresh coriander: 1/2 cup; finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the diced onion, peppers & zucchini. Sauté till they turn tender, but not mushy.
- Now add the boiled black beans & cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the taco seasoning, salt & red chilli powder & mix everything well. The stuffing is ready. Keep it aside.
- Take a tawa (skillet). Cast iron is best 😀 Place a tortilla on it & let it cook for a minute on each side. Make sure the flame is not high to burn the tortilla.
- Turn the flame on low & spread grated cheese all over the tortilla. Now, place half of the chicken-veggie mix onto one half of the tortilla, and cook until the cheese just begins to melt.
- Using a spatula, flip the side that just has the cheese on it over on top of the chicken-veggie mix side. Use the spatula to press down to seal.
- Continue to cook for 2 minutes, and then flip the quesadilla and cook for an another 2 minutes on the other side. This gives us crisp quesadillas.
- Repeat the process with all tortillas.
- Serve the quesadillas with sour cream & salsa or pico de gallo.
- If you do not have taco seasoning, you can use regular masalas like cumin powder, some minced garlic, chaat masala etc. Add your own tadka 😉
- I buy ready tortillas because I’m too lazy to make them at home. You can try 😃
- If you’re a vegetarian, mushrooms are a great substitute for chicken.