Chickpeas, or Kabuli Chana, is an excellent source of protein & iron. They’re widely used in a plethora of recipes all over the world. For me, one of the best ways to eat this legume is in the form of a spicy curry, accompanied with either bhaturas/pooris or rice! Oh, my mouth is salivating just by thinking about it 🙂
Hummus is a delicious dip/spread that’s of Middle-east/Mediterranean origin. It is made with a handful of ingredients including chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini etc. I’ve tried hummus at restaurants, off the shelf at grocery stores & homemade. Although some restaurants make it really well, I’m overall quite happy with the homemade version because I can add a variety of flavours to alter the taste every single time. I’ve added greens to it once, another time made it using some olives & once with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes ☺️ Each time I’ve gotten a fresh flavour & a unique hummus!
Since i love munching on tid-bits through the day, i quite like this particular Hummus recipe that’s quite simple & goes beautifully well with veggie sticks or simple crackers. I sometimes serve it along with crisped pita, too. A great dip to have on the side, at parties. Try it out & you’ll want to eat more 😋
Chickpea HummusCourse: SidesCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
A savoury dip made out of chickpeas blended with tahini, lemon juice & garlic.
Chickpeas: 200gms; boiled
Garlic: 4 cloves
Olive oil: 3+1 tbsp
Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas overnight & boil the next morning. Put them in a blender without adding any water.
- Add salt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, tahini & cumin powder. Blitz till you get a smooth consistency.
- When you serve Hummus, add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of paprika. You can also top it with olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
- This is the recipe for basic hummus. You can play with ingredients according to your taste.
- Try adding some paprika, coriander leaves, spring onion greens for a change in flavour.
- Hummus is a flavourful & healthy dip to go with pita bread/chips or veggie sticks.