What are your preferred summer beverages? I have a looong list! I love buttermilk, varieties of lassi, watermelon juice, good ol’ lemonade, chilled cold coffee, fresh lime soda, aam panna 😍, roohafza, mango shake, iced latte, an occasional Thumbs Up 😉, banta (although it’s not available where we are) & on top of my list is ice cold water! Did I cover everything 🤔 I think I did.
Buttermilk is one of my favourite drinks in summer. It is a lightly spiced beverage made with yoghurt. It’s light, refreshing & very good for the gut. The recipe is very very simple & comes together in just 5 minutes, if you have pre-soaked sabja (chia) seeds. Usually I make buttermilk without adding the seeds but this time I tried it this way to make it healthier 😀 And I must say it really tastes good! Leaving you with a quick recipe to this cooling beverage that will quench your summer thirst.
Chia छास (Buttermilk with chia seeds)Course: BeverageCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A lightly spiced buttermilk made healthier with chia seeds.
Chia seeds: 2tsp
Green chilli: 1; minced
Bhuna jeera (roasted cumin) powder: 1/2tsp
Ginger: 1/2tsp; minced
Black pepper: 1/2tsp
Mint leaves: 10; finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Soak the chia seeds in 100ml of water for 20-30 minutes.
- Beat the curd with 100ml of water. Make sure no lumps remain.
- Add the chia seeds (with the water in which they were soaked), minced green chilli, roasted jeera powder, black pepper powder, minced ginger & salt.
- Tip in the chopped mint leaves and give everything a good mix.
- Serve chilled.
- You can increase or reduce the quantity of water according to the consistency you prefer.
- Use freshly roasted cumin powder for best result.
- Skip the green chilli if you don’t like the spice in your buttermilk.